- Conduct a comprehensive assessment on the current legal framework, focusing on the regulations in microfinance sector, propose relevant recommendation and addition;
- Establish new legal framework which is market oriented and sustainable, to provide the poor, SMEs with various financial products.
- Strengthen capacity for SBV in analysing, licensing and supervising microfinance activities in Vietnam.
Main activities performed:
- Assess the current legal framework and the related regulations that influent the organization and scope of activities of micro-finance service providers;
- Conduct assessment on the provision of financial services for the poor;
- Conduct costs/benefits analysis on the programs that are currently using preferential credit subsidies as a poverty reduction policy, recommend policies implication for these programs;
- Research on the supervisory models that are applied in other countries;
- Build a roadmap with specific recommendations to establish a legal framework and set of regulations that are favorable for the operations of semi-officially and officially recognized MFIs;
- Design detailed workplan for SBV, based on the existing roadmap, aiming to create a relevant model of regulating and supervising the semi-officially and officially recognized MFIs;
- Contribute to the drafting of circulars, decrees, and supervisory tools, in compliance with the Law on financial institutions and other decrees that were issued to promulgate semi-officially and officially recognized MFIs;
- Organize training courses for managerial staff and branch officers of SBV for better understanding of the new legal framework;
Organize training courses for microfinance service providers, funding agencies, and non-government organizations.